The Professional Advocacy Association of Texas is the state’s only recognized statewide group for the lobby community. PAAT Members are well-respected lobbyists and company/association government affairs representatives who are serious about what they do and are committed to integrity and high ethical standards.
PAAT was launched in 2003 with the goal of creating an organization that:
- represents the interests of the lobby at the Texas Legislature;
- represents the interests of the lobby at the Texas Ethics Commission;
- provides a clear understanding of the ethics laws and rules in Texas;
- creates ethics education opportunities for the lobby & government affairs community; and
- promotes a positive perception of the lobby profession and underscore the importance of our industry in the legislative process.
We are proud of everything we have accomplished since our inception, including hosting nine annual ethics education Institutes, supporting numerous laws that positively impact our world, defending against legislation and TEC advisory options that would have had a negative impact on our profession (including staving off an unreasonably larger increase in the lobby registration fee), and have worked hard to address our issues behind the scenes with the media and other stakeholders to ensure our positions and interests have been represented accurately.
Ethics issues have been front and center at the Capitol and in the Texas media and we do not foresee this focus shifting any time soon.
We hope you will consider joining our effort. We have a great story to tell but we will be much more effective if the lobby and government affairs community are broadly united in our effort. With a PAAT Membership, you not only make the strongest possible statement about your ethical values, but you and your company/organization will benefit from everything that PAAT offers.