The Professional Advocacy Association of Texas is the state’s only recognized statewide group for the lobby community. PAAT Members are well-respected lobbyists and company/association government affairs representatives who are serious about what they do and are committed to integrity and high ethical standards.
On behalf of its membership, PAAT works with the Texas Ethics Commission and the Texas State Legislature to improve understanding and compliance with the law relating to lobbying in Texas while raising the ethical bar for the lobby profession and for governmental affairs practices overall.
PAAT’s mission includes:
- Protecting the public interest to petition the government;
- Promoting government affairs advocacy as a professional practice;
- Supporting open, transparent and ethical practice of government advocacy;
- Representing the interests of government advocacy and PAAT members at the Texas Legislature;
- Representing the interests of PAAT members and the lobby practice at the Texas Ethics Commission;
- Providing a clear understanding of the ethics laws and rules in Texas; and
- Hosting events and professional education opportunities for PAAT members.
In addition to regular ethics and advocacy advice and consultation, over the past 15 years PAAT has managed ten annual Ethics Compliance Institutes, hosted regular roundtable events, and defended against legislation and Ethics Commission advisory opinions that would have had a negative impact on our profession. We have also supported numerous laws that positively impact our practices, including:
- Obtained rule changes to allow expedited access to the Capitol;
- Supported legislation to allow registrants to make corrections to lobby reports without penalty; and
- Defended against an excessive increase in the lobby registration fee.
Over the years PAAT has also worked hard to address lobby-related issues with the media and other stakeholders to ensure our positions and interests have been represented accurately. Through it all, PAAT is there, representing your interests, protecting your rights and keeping you informed. We are attending the meetings, reading the fine print and standing up publicly to advocate the importance of our right to petition the government.
Making sure you stay up-to-speed on what’s still considered above-board advocacy is critical. With a PAAT Membership, you not only make the strongest possible statement about your ethical values, but you and your company/organization will benefit from everything that PAAT offers.
Membership Benefits Include:
Participation in legislative & administrative opportunities to enhance the lobby’s effectiveness;
Advocacy for the lobby and government affairs community at the Commission and the Legislature;
Continual monitoring and updates on ethics and PAC-related legislation and regulations;
Issue briefs on emerging topics, and continual education on lobby compliance and reporting;
Regular e-mail communications on news and information relevant to the Texas lobby and government affairs community;
Ethics Commission practice and filing changes, as well as confidential consultation on ethics-related concerns;
Exclusive invitations to members-only events and briefings;
Referral process for in-state and out-of-state lobby business;
Member discounts to vendors, restaurants and other relevant services; and
Inclusion in PAAT’s online member listing.
You can join PAAT for as little as $1,200 a year for contract lobbyists, $1,800 for 501c3 organizations and $2,500 for corporate or association membership.